1) How did you get involved in ham-radio and how many years are being a ham/SWL now?
At this moment itís 25 years ago I got involved by ham-radio, before that I was active on 3 and 11 meters.
My interest started by listening on a shortwave radio.
2) What attracted you the most in being a ham-radio operator?
Contesting and DX-ing are my favorite parts of this hobby.
I am no technician at all, but the operating part of this hobby is great.
3) What is your favorite mode and/or band?
I have no favorite band, all bands are great and has itís specialties.
In the beginning I was only a SSB operator, but the last few years CW has become my favorite mode.
4) What equipment do you use?
At home I use an Yaesu FT1000MP and FT847 (for VHF), for DXpeditions I use an Elecraft K2/100.
5) Do you hold DXCC and/or what is the score?
I only need 3 countries in mixed mode, in SSB 6, CW 20 and in RTTY 55.
6) What has been your most memorable story related to ham-radio so far?
During the last 25 years there are always many stories to tell, but a few of them I will never forget.
Most of them were during DX-peditions to (semi) rare places, like: T33 Banaba, TI9(Cocos Island), VU7 (Lakshedweep).
Montserrat, one of the Islands in the Caribbean is not so rare but for me it was very impressive.
7) Do you think CW had it's best time since you don't need it anymore to get a license?
No, I donít think so.
CW will always be there and I hope that a lot of newcomers will see that in CW itís easier to work DX than in phone
or any other digital mode.
8) How would you explain our hobby to someone who is not familiar with ham-radio?
Thatís always a challenge, most of the time I compared it with fishing, because everybody knows fishing.
You can go sit by a river with very expansive equipment and after a few hours you caught nothing, but the little boy next to you with simple equipment caught many fish.
You can compare it with many facets like fishing, even in fishing there are contests.
They always give a suggestion, why so much effort to communicate with someone else, while via Internet or a
telephone, it so easy.
9) Do you have other hobby's besides ham-radio?
One of my other hobbies is photography.
10) Any final words to the people reading the interviews?
Thanks for the interest in our hobby, for more information visit my website: www.lldxt.nl
or the website of our contestgroup: www.pi4com.nl
Itís always possible to send me an email: email@example.com