1) How did you get involved in Ham-radio and how many years are being a ham now?
It started in the summer of 1987 when I discovered a small 27 MHz/CB mobile radio in my uncles garage.
This is what I used for some years, specially on 27.555 MHz.
But in1993 my friend Peter/S55Y (EX-S57MYY) invited me to take an exam to become a HAM operator.
So I joined the S53AAN club whit great enthusiasm.
I am member of SCC Contest club (Slovenia Contest Club) and member of S53S club.
On a small hill (Trstel hill)we have a nice contest location (643m ASL) and we have three towers with many new antennas like a Force12 C-31, 160 meter Loop and mono-banders for 20-15-10m (Moxon antennas).
From Trstel Hill I am active in almost all contest (SSB and RTTY is my mode) with my friends S52X/Tadej, S57MM/Aljosa, S55Y/Peter and some IV3 operators at times.
2) What attracted you the most in being a Ham-radio operator?
It's magic is to talk to a complete stranger at the other side of the world which you never met before.
3) What is your favorite mode and/or band?
My favorite band is 80m (160m), 70% SSB and 30% CW.
Every year at the end of October I put up all my beverage antenna`s.
I have 3x 280 meter long beverage RX-antennas as I like the low band's!
4) What equipment do you use?
I have a lot of different equipment, FT-101 (1990-1993), FT-107 (193-1996), TS-430 (1996-1997),
ICOM IC-746 (2000-2002) and now I use a YAESU FT-1000MP + AMERITRON AL-80B (soon new AMP) with W2IHY 8-band EQUALIZER audio device + Studio microphone.
- 160m: Inverted L
- 80m: 1/2 wl Dipole + 1/4 wl (19.7m long) vertical with 30 radials
- 40m: 2-element phased vertical array (40 meter EDZ)
- 30m : EDZ (as above for 40 meter)
- 20-15-10m: 2-element Cubical quad on a homemade tower, 13 meter high (I also have a 3-band yagi)
5) Do you hold DXCC and what is the score?
On 14-03-2005 I change the call into S58F (EX- S57LWE) and hold DXCC since 2004.
With S57LWE I have approximate 300 DXCC.
- 160: 78 dxcc
- 80m: 188 dxcc
- 40m 194 dxcc
- 30m: 54 dxcc
- 20m: 201 dxcc
- 17m: 103 dxcc
- 15m: 193 dxcc -
- 10m: 109 dxcc
- 6m: 49 dxcc
6) What has been your most memorable story related to Ham-radio so far?
When I worked ZL on 80 meter Long-Path for the first time! (ZL1AIX/Warren).
7) Do you think CW had it's best time since you don't need it anymore to get a license?
I don't see any difference in activity.
8) How would you explain our hobby to someone not familiar with Ham-radio?
I would invite this person to visit my shack and would demonstrate how we make contact on the HAM bands.
9) Do you have other hobby's besides Ham-radio?
I like music (old rock) and I play guitar (classic and electric).
10) Any final words to the people reading the interviews?
Amateur Radio is Magic!